Jessy

My Dearest Jessy

How have you been keeping? Still as stubborn as ever? I hope things are well. I just thought I would write you on my experience of First Year at Rhodes as I know you will be in my same situation next year. I really hope you will take my advice into consideration.

Do you remember how we used to be the popular best friends at school? We had all the friends in the world! We were invited to all the ‘cool’ parties, always had the hottest boyfriends and were always with the latest trends. Rhodes is very different from school. There aren’t many rules, no one tells you what to do and there are THOUSANDS of other students. You must not think for these reasons it’s easy to make friends - it’s not! Especially when you live at home with your parents like me, and like you will too next year.

By living at home you are very restricted with curfews, chores and all the hassle and noise of a family that irritates you very quickly seeing as you’ve already lived with them for 18 years of your life! You need to remember that in order to make friends you need to be a friend first, and friends are an essential at university. Your parents will have taught you how to grow up but it is your friends who mould you, who teach you about love and life and whom you can share absolutely anything with.

You need to remember that life isn’t easy. You no longer get ‘spoon-fed’ at university. When times get tough you have to push through with your head held high. Be as outgoing and spontaneous as you already are. Talk to people. Laugh about things with people. Find a balance between work and play. You should make friends quickly but just in case you don’t make any concrete ones, don’t stop trying. Be yourself, enjoy life and make the most of your opportunities. I hope you take my advice to heart. See you next year!

Forever friends
Jess
xx

0 comments: