Comment on a Profile story

“Letter To My Younger Self” http://www.etto-pressurepoints.blogspot.com/

Ettione, I agree with your letter completely. I also find that in order to survive first year at Rhodes University , one needs to find a balance between work and play; a balance between social and academic life. I think that drinking forms a major component in making friends. My ‘letter to the younger self’ focused on making friends and the challenges thereof. I think drinking, for some, honestly leads them to believe that they will ‘fit in’ and ultimately make friends. Binge drinking with people to make ‘friends’, for example.

Alcohol and the abuse thereof is a big issue for many first year students on all campuses. I believe that in order to survive first year one needs to be “greater than that” and have the “self-control to say no”. A “balance between social and academic life” needs to be built. Only then can one make true friends.

Jess http://fourhensandacock.blogspot.com/

0 comments: