Garth Elzerman: A Profile in Verse


Garth Elzerman is an atavist
Of a quaint and glorious strain.
His comportment always is solid,
His speech ever smooth and urbane.

Yet what makes him the hero of this rhyme
Is neither mien nor chatty panache.
Nay, what makes him so very unique is
His svelte and dishy moustache.

Not a walrus like that borne by Nietzsche,
Nor Hitler's profound little square;
Not even as slender as Dalí's,
Is Garth's lip-bound facial hair.

Yet it is by no means bien pensant,
Not bound by scruples and qualms.
Although it ain't vulgar and showy,
It nonetheless tickles the palms.

"I am a barefaced eccentric;
"I make no apologies for that.
"My moustache is a manifestation,"
Claims Garth in a coffee-room chat.

Even though he has suffered the catcalls
Of fools yoked by modern-day more,
He stays well away from his razor
And so retains a vestige of yore.

"It effuses sophistication;
"It makes me look smart and demure;
"And, to all potential lovers,
"It carries a certain allure."

The voters, too, it attracted
When Garth ran for the SRC,
And, despite all his quirks and his foibles,
He won there a great victory.

That such a singular fellow,
So unusual and quirky a chap,
Could overcome all to be elected
Is worthy of more than a clap.

"To every moustache-owner out there,"
Says Garth with his face all aglow,
"I say, 'You can manage it, too!'"
My, what a model hero.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha lol!!! Your so cool, cock.

Rodney Ulyate said...

My word! That is as magnificent a piece of doggerel as I have read. I look forward to seeing more of you in the future, Cock, and will most certainly be watching this space.

Unknown said...

Very eloquent and well put. You have made the day for all men who have moustaches.

Courteney-Jade said...

by: Courteney-Jade Gillespie
www.mirrormiglactic.blogspot.com

Who new that poetry could define a man with a moustache in such a "musical" way. I read this piece and as your words graced my eyes images and an irritating, yet entertaining tune popped into my head. I enjoy how you have used Propp's form of 'Dramatis personae' in your writing and setting Garth as the hero of the moustache men. You have included the fundamental components of narrative, such as a constant stable piece of writing whereby each idea develops logically from the previous one. You have also included the Todorov status of the equilibrium. I really enjoyed this piece. Thank you.

Unknown said...

What a luminous article of articulate brilliance, it is rather refreshing to come across an individual how has the level of elocution and enthusiasm for language as you do. In addition to your choice of subject was one of great insight which accentuated your use of language.
Garth Elzerman

Mister Drunk said...

Dear Cock,
After reading this profile, I feel so much more enlightened and interested in this character that is Garth. Your article is very well written (not looking at the minor spelling mistake in the first line!), but I find its tone a little bit too formal and academic. The content is extremely informative and interesting, and lays the information and facts about Garth straight onto the reader without any delay and an interesting approach.
The short paragraphed, systematic format of the article is a fascinating and although it seems slightly repetitive and works really well together with all the content mentioned in the article itself.
Overall, I enjoying reading this profile and would like to commend you on your writing of an interesting work of blog-literature.

Anonymous said...

Dude. That is honestly the most original profile I have ever read!

It's awesome!

More?

Cock said...

I'm curious, Mister Drunk: where exactly is the spelling mistake in my poem's opening line? I have Garth's assurance that his name is right, and I think that we may be fairly certain that there ain't nothing wrong with "is" and "an", so I cannot but conclude that your compunction lies with the word "atavist". If you would take the time to put down your beverage and open a dictionary, I daresay you would find that it is spelt perfectly.

Yours in annoyance acute,
Cock

Cock said...

Thanks, by the by, to all for their kind words.

Ashness said...

that was awesome cockie

Unknown said...

This has made my evening! Very witty and entertaining. Thanks.

Cock said...

Best wishes to Garth as, almost a year on, he runs for the position of SRC president.

A touch disappointed that my poem formed no part of his campaign,
Cock